12.30.2004

Dry, Oh My!

It's come to my attention that folks need advice on how to handle dry, flaky skin - otherwise known as winter skin (at least in my book). There are hundreds of products on the market to deal with dry skin and many of them work well. For starters, I recommend using an unscented product that won't irritate already sensitive skin. Stay away from hot baths, which can also dry out the skin. As for reliable creams, I like Cetaphil's thick body cream as well as almost anything by Neutrogena. Both of these brands are available in the drugstores, the supermarket, Target etc. Want a trick for dealing with super dry hands (or feet)? Wear cotton gloves at night. You can find these at drugstores, too. Also, my mom swears by Vaseline. She rubs it into her nails beds every night. I also like Aquaphor. One last comment -- I used to rely on antibacterial soaps in the kitchen and bathroom. But my dermatologist said antibac products can be very drying. She suggested I buy a bottle of shower soap (like Olay or Dove) and use it for my hands. Great idea, although I had to search for a light scent that didn't knock me over. (Unscented anyone!) Bath and Body Works makes a thick hand soap with shea butter - I've just started using this to wash my hands.

Top-Shelf Recommendation:
Neutrogena and Cetaphil Body Creams

No comments: